Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Peep into the Past - People of the Street Where This Man Resided at Nabaclis

Best Greetings!  Please take a few minutes to enlighten me and/or refresh my mind on the folks and correct and/or include any facts that were omitted herein. Share your knowledge of Nabaclis and its people – will you?
In the vicinity of the tamarind tree, were the Adonis family, the church, Simon family, and Machume – lord have mercy - what is his correct name? Cousin Dove resided at that residence. I spent numerous hours there with Lylith, Denise and Winston. In fact, Dummie the butcher had his butcher shop there. Dummie is a son of Mrs. Mackie. He is an uncle of the Lutchman family. Merle had her store there, too. When I met Merle, she had her business place next to the residence of my uncle Oswald which was located behind that of my aunt Elsa, there in Nabaclis. Merle would much later purchase the business place in which the Lam family ran their business at Golden Grove.
When I arrived at Nabaclis there was an old huge building at the Middle Walk four- corner, opposite Klein business place. Mr. Klein, I was told lost a portion of his leg (I can not remember which one) in an accident. It was as a result of from him frolicking. He was Jumping off a moving train. My mother asked him to relate his experiences to me. It was meant as a deterrent. thereby preventing me from having similar experiences. Mr. Klein willingly obliged. Before it was torn down Dummie ran his business out of a little shack next to the Public Road. I believe next to the Simon family was the Trotman family. He was a tailor. However, in the same street with Simon family, on that same side of the street, the next residence is that of the Adams family. My good brother Kemp Adams is a member of that family. The major family in that street for many years was the Gonslaves family. I believe they arrived in Nabaclis from Beterverwagting. Andrew Lutchman’s family resided next to the Gonslaves. The property of the family bordered the forty feet trench. The Maison family, which included Vil, Dawn and Paul, returned from the UK. Their parents built a refreshing home. they resided in front of Andrew Lutchman’s mother’s family. Another Maison family member also returned home. The family’s home was built in close proximity. It was at the public Road. 
Samuel Adams purchased the neighboring property. The transaction occurred, a few months prior to his death. An accident involving his donkey power vehicle. 
Daywah an indo-Guyanese was the proud owner of the next lot. I remember Daywah, now, quite fondly. He was the first person to address me as Lil Sancho. Man was he tough on me. I often wondered was he there to farm his land or to report my every infraction. 
Doreen Chin-A-Loy and her husband; Singh resided, towards the east of the street near the side line trench. My mother purchased the next lot in 1967. The previous owner is a Sancho. Her name is Isabelle “Bella” Benn. She is the Aunt of Dr. Barton Scotland, and seven others. Across from my mother’s residence was her childhood friend. She married Mr. Chin-A-Loy. Next to the Chin-A-Loy’s residence at the side line trench was the Kingston’s property. It strecthed from the Public Road to the street. Above the Chin-A-Loy’s residence was Alphonso’s Grocery Store and residence. In fact it was located at the Public Road. Mrs. Alphonso is an older sister of Mrs. Chin-A-Loy. They are Portuguese. They demanded I acted like a Sancho. I had no idea. they were referring to the Ancestor Bentick Sancho. Now, perhaps, it was a good thing I did not know of ole man Bentick Sancho in those days. I suffered enough. I was measured against Teacher Muriel Sancho’s, and other people’s expectations. How upon earth did they expect me to even begin to reflect a ray of a man of such a magnitude? I can, well, imagine the experiences, Lambert Tuckness Sancho endured in the shadow of his father, Bentick Sancho. Small wonder it is said, great grand father, Lammy Sancho, repeatedly sampled the bottled spirits. it is known. he explored the contours of several females. Thus he fathered a great many of the people of Sancho. I am told that number is twenty-two (22) children. I have managed to identify eighteen (18) of that number. 
I am told George Ross, and his sister Mariette Ross is the present owner of the property. George Ross resides there. It was upon that property I became afflicted with the aspirations of seeking the knowledge of myself. I became a Nabaclis man. I was often found liming at the tamarind tree. there with folks such as Ralph Moore, Cedric Hudson, Dooray Walcott, Papa Scraven, Pa Gatna, Pepe, Tayee, 42, Cuppie, Sue-bow, Cutta, Burchell Lutchman, Boots, Milo , Backlegg, and numerous others.
Mr. Henry, I refer to is Godfrey Henry. He was a policeman in those days. I think Godfrey Henry was then a Traffic Cop. Today, I have no respect for him, except that he is a descendant of Kingston of Nabaclis. I am not aware of the family which includes a Mr. Henry and a Portuguese wife. I have no recollection of Mrs. Smalls residing on the Public Road , Nabaclis.
I am aware of the family of Evan Valentine and Gwen Ralph. They are both cousins of mine. Valentine I am told is a Campbell family member. I know my dear mother cousin Gwen is a Sancho, her mother is a sister of my grand father; Papa Alex. Sancho.
I would really love to ascertain how Cousin Evan Valentine is descended from Campbell and therefore learn how he is related to my grandmother Rachel Campbell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home