Monday, September 05, 2022

Honoring Romain Etwaroo

 Honoring Romain Etwaroo

Romain Etwaroo was a prolific scorer in Berbice cricket that’s a fact. I considered Romain Etwaroo was a grafter, a batsman who simply accumulated runs by staying at the crease. Certainly, I do not recall a dominating performance by Romain Etwaroo. However, I loved watching Isaac Seurnarie bat – even against my beloved cricketer, Joe Doolam aka Joe Best and the # 64 Village All Stars teams of the late 1960s and the early 1970s. It is a pity Joe Doolam and his older brothers especially Ben Doolam are not honored for their contributions to cricket in that region of the Corentyne. I was rather familiar with a number of the Etwaroo brothers; Romain, Randolph, Reginald and Tyrone and the Beasimonie brothers, Gopie and Vinoo and a host of others who represented Port Mourant in the late 1960s and the early 1970s. I witnessed many of their performances against Joe Doolam at No. # 63 Village Cricket Ground. Tagore High School was located right next to the ground. In fact, in that era, Randolph Etwaroo was a primary School Teacher employed at New Market Anglican school. I considered Randolph Etwaroo the best cricketer of his brothers. Joe Doolam was the finest left arm spin bowler I ever witnessed. I was instructed in the nuances of the game by primarily Randolph Etwaroo, Joe Doolam and Roy Fredericks. I loved hanging out (liming) with Isaac Seunarine and Annand Sookram. I simply did not recall Tyrone Ramnarace. I do not recall Romain Etwaroo scoring heavily against Joe Doolam. I take solace in the fact the cream often rises to the top. Roy Fredericks is simply the greatest batsman against fast bowling I ever witnessed. Romain Etwaroo was not in the same church. Only Rohan Kanhai, Basil Butcher and Alvin Kalicharran were better batsmen than Roy Fredericks. I am ecstatic good people are honoring Romain Etwaroo. All too often our unsung heroes go unnoticed and under appreciated. Do you recall a Jefferali a fast bowler from Skeldon?

Updated Nov 06, 2020 12:55:26am

Oct 12, 2017 12:06:12pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home