Sunday, September 04, 2022

Patrick McKenzie, Post Master, MacKenzie, Guyana.

 Patrick McKenzie, Post Master, MacKenzie, Guyana.

At about 11:11PM July 16, 2014, I exited the M train crossed the platform and boarded the J train to Brooklyn at Essex in Manhattan. I sat next to an elderly male. I thought was a Jamaican national. It turned out, last night, I met 86 years-old, Patrick McKenzie. He asked me if I knew McKenzie people. Wainwright McKenzie came quickly to my mind. Wainwright McKenzie, Keith Barry and Compton Ross were GDF commissioned officers. During 1969, Barry, McKenzie and Ross were trained in England. Patrick McKenzie did not recall any of my relatives of his native Victoria Village, and those who were of his age group and pupils at St. Andrews Anglican School under Melbourne. Patrick McKenzie stated he is related to Pansy Abrams. She was a teacher at Cane Grove School. I told him I am sure Pansy Abrams and Garnett were married. Garnett was deputy headmaster to Melbourne. He was surprised that one so young would be mentioning the names of long dead once popular people of the community. He found it refreshing. I simply told him I research read and document the authentic social history of our people. Patrick McKenzie was a post master at Mackenzie as late as 1980. He was familiar with surnames Bentick, Campbell, Sancho, Sumner, Adams, Lutchman, and Pilgrim of Victoria. However, he could not remember any complete names except that of Pansy Abrams and Oscar Garnett. Small world. A Luta Continua…

Updated Nov 06, 2020 12:55:26am

Apr 07, 2018 11:39:23am


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home